Celestron has paired its vaunted 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain optics with the Advanced series computerized GoTo mount and NexStar hand controller, producing a telescope that will take you as far as you want to go in the hobby of amateur astronomy.
Equipped with high-speed motors and hand control, the Celestron C8 S-GT XLT Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope's NexStar computerized control system automatically slews the scope to any of 40,000+ celestial objects in the database, quickly and accurately. The heavy-duty German equatorial mount has ultra-sturdy 2" stainless steel legs and dual-axis motors that slew at a 3-degrees-per-second clip. It also has an autoguider port for astrophotography.
This telescope features the revolutionary StarBright XLT enhanced optical coatings.
Advanced Series C8 S-GT includes these high performance features:
- GPS-compatible with optional CN16 GPS Accessory
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Autoguider port for long exposure astrophotography
- 40,000+ object database with 400 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- Double-line, 16-character LCD hand controller with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
- DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
- The CG-5 GT computerized mount.
The Advanced Series C8 S-GT Specifications
- 203mm (8.0") Schmidt-cassegrain optical design
- 2032mm focal length (f/10)
- Adjustable 2" steel leg tripod with accessory tray/leg brace
- Right ascension and declination setting circles
- 40,000+ object database, 400 user defined programmable objects
- Enhanced information on over 200 objects
- Hand controller with double-line, 16-character LCD screen
- DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
- 4°/second maximum slew speed
- RS-232 communication port on hand control
- Auxiliary port and autoguider port on motor drive
- Telescope Weight: 54 lbs.
The StarBright XLT System — What Makes It Different Makes It Better
Celestron is proud to introduce a revolutionary coating system that outperforms any other coating in the commercial telescope market. All Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes sold by Orion include this premium-quality optical coating.
There are three major components that make up Celestron's StarBright XLT high transmission optical system design:
1. Unique enhanced multi-layer mirror coatings
The mirror coatings are made from precise layers of Aluminum (Al), SiO2 (quartz), TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide), and Si02. Reflectivity is fairly flat across the spectrum, optimizing it for both CCD imaging and visual use.
2. Multi-layer anti-reflective coatings
Made from precise layers of MgF2 (Magnesium Fluoride), and HfO2 (Hafnium Dioxide). A rare element costing nearly $2,000 per kilogram, Hafnium gives us a wider band pass than Titanium, which is used in competing coatings.
3. High Transmission Water White glass
Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain optical systems with StarBright XLT coatings use Water White glass instead of Soda Lime glass for the corrector lens. Water White glass transmits about 90.5% without anti-reflective coatings. That is 3.5% better transmission than uncoated Soda Lime glass. When Water White glass is used in conjunction with StarBright XLT's anti-reflective coatings, the average transmission reaches 97.4% — an 8% improvement!
These three components of StarBright XLT coatings result in one of the finest coatings available. The peak transmission for the systems is 89% at 520 nm. The overall system transmission is 83.5% averaged over the spectrum from 400 to 750 nm.
This product is serviced and supported by its manufacturer according to the terms and conditions included in the packaged product. Orion's limited warranty does not apply. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support.
Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
Visit our product support section for instruction manuals and more
I am interested in purchasing a C8-S with the XLT coatings but NOT the GoTo feature. I see it elsewhere, but not on Telescopes.com, is there a specific reason for this?
Celestron has discontinued the non-GoTo members of its Advanced Series telescopes. Some dealers may still have a few of the non-GoTo C8-S scopes around, but when they?re gone, there will be no more for sale. Celestron is now making only the GT versions of the C scopes.
If I ran out of battery, can I manually slew the telescope? I understand that controller or GOTO will not be available. But, I want to know if this telescope without any external power is as good as a Dobsonian.
No. Without a source of power the Celestron Advanced Series C8-SGT Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope cannot be slewed or rotated in any way.
Is the Finderscope Polar Axis included in the Advanced Series C8-SGT XLT Coatings package? Also, is the cable to connect the telescope to PC included?
Both of those items must be purchased as accessories.