Welcome to Orion's Layaway Program! We are excited to offer this alternative payment option for our valued customers in the US and Canada. The information below in "How It Works" explains the basic outline of how the program is structured and what is required. Further on below, under our Frequently Asked Layaway Questions, we have answered the commonly asked questions. If you don't readily see the answer to your question, please do not hesitate to call us at (800) 447-1001 during normal business hours.
Please note that Build-A-Scope telescopes, non-Orion brand products, Gift Certificates, E-Certificates, and Clearance Center items do not qualify for our Layaway program, and all products on your order must qualify for your order to be eligible for the Layaway program.
How It Works
- Shop Online...
- Add the items you would like to place on layaway to your online shopping chart. Please note that Build-A-Scope telescopes do not qualify for our Layaway program.
- Make sure the shopping cart total (without shipping and taxes) is at least US $99 and not over US $5,000.
- Enter Checkout — where you will need to check the "Select Layaway Plan" checkbox on the Payment panel.
- Residents of Maryland, Ohio, and Rhode Island who wish to take advantage of our layaway program should click here for a special order form.
- Shop By Phone...
- Call Orion's customer service department at (800) 447-1001
- Tell the Customer Service Agent that you would like to place a "Layaway" order
- Select your item(s)
- Shop By Mail...
- Print out the mail order form. Residents of Maryland, Ohio, and Rhode Island who wish to take advantage of our layaway program should click here for a special order form. (Adobe Reader required for both forms)
- Fill out the form
- Check the Layaway box
- Provide payment information. You may either fill out your credit/debit card number or enclose a check or money order in the amount of the first installment payment.
- Mail the order form to Orion at:
Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
Attn. Customer Service / LP
89 Hangar Way
Watsonville, CA 95076-2465
- Enter your credit/debit card information. (If you wish to pay by check, you can't purchase online — you'll have to use regular mail. Please follow the "mail" option instructions)
- Check the "Select Layaway Plan" checkbox underneath where you entered your credit/debit card information.
- The first payment is due at checkout and will be for 1/3 of the total amount due. The total amount will include: the price of your item(s), shipping charges, and applicable sales tax/import fees. Your card will then be charged again in 30 days, and once again in another 30 days. Your second confirmation email will specify the exact dates on which your card will be charged.
- To have your products held for layaway you must place an order. Simply holding product in your shopping cart does not and will not hold your products.
- Residents of Maryland, Ohio, and Rhode Island must complete a written acknowledgment of terms and conditions and mail it to us at
Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
Attn. Customer Service / LP
89 Hangar Way
Watsonville, CA 95076-2465
- Make Payments
- For your second and third payments, Orion will automatically charge your credit or debit card on file. If you decide to make those payments by check or money order instead, you will need to notify us (so that we don't charge your card) and mail us your payment on or before the due date.
- Receive Products
- You will receive your product(s) shortly after your last payment. The best part is, if you paid by check, money order or debit card, your bill is paid in full ... no debt!
Frequently Asked Layaway Questions
What is layaway?
With Orion's Layaway Program, you pay us a deposit and make two additional payments over time until you have paid for the item in full. Once we have received the last payment, we send you the merchandise.
How does Orion's Layaway Program work?
See How It Works
What are the terms of the Orion Layaway Plan?
You pay the total amount over three equal installments. No product is shipped until payment is made in full.
What payment methods can I use?
Under Orion's Layaway Program, we accept money orders, personal checks, Orion Gift Certificates, debit cards and credit cards for payment.
Can I change the payment method during the term?
Yes. We can accept a different payment method for each payment.
What happens if I miss or am late on a payment on my layaway?
If you are late or miss a payment, we will attempt to contact you and make other payment arrangements. If we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue within fourteen days, we will cancel your layaway and return any money you have already paid.
Can I cancel my layaway plan?
Yes. You may cancel your layaway at any time between the time you originally place the order and before the third installment payment is due.
Is there a cancellation fee?
There is no cancellation fee. At the time of cancellation, we will return all payments you have made on your layaway order.
How many payments do I have to make?
Orion's Layaway Program requires three installment payments: 1) the first payment at the time of the order; 2) the second payment 30 days after the order date; and 3) the third payment 60 days after the order date.
Can I have more than 3 periods to pay my layaway?
No. Orion's Layaway Program is fixed at 3 installments.
I submitted my order ... now what happens?
If you order online, we collect the first installment at the time you submit your order. If you mail us a layaway order form, you must send a check or money order along with the form. When we receive your order, we will tell you the dates on which the second and third payments are due. Once the second and third installments have been collected, we will ship your order.
Will you notify me when each subsequent payment is due?
On your Order Acknowledgement (sent via email), we will show the payment due dates and amounts due. Even if you order by phone or mail, we will ask you for your email address so that we can send you your Order Acknowledgment by that method. If that is not possible, we will send it to you by regular mail.
If you paid by credit or debit card, we will automatically charge your card when the next installment is due. If your due date falls on Saturday or Sunday, we will typically charge your card on the next business day.
Are there any fees for the Orion Layaway Program?
No. Our Layaway Plan is offered to you at no extra cost. Our policy is to set aside for you the item(s) you have ordered until the last payment is received, but if due to our error or circumstances beyond our control your product(s) become unavailable, we will give you the option of instructing us to back-order the item(s) for you, or canceling your order altogether. If you decide to cancel, we will refund all of your money.
Is shipping included?
You will be charged the standard shipping charges at time of order placement. If your product(s) qualify for a free shipping promotion at time of order placement, then you will receive that free shipping promotion.
Shipping promotions offered by Orion after the time of order placement are not applicable.
How is sales tax charged for a layaway order shipping to an address in a state where Orion charges sales tax?
Sales tax will be collected proportionally on all three installment payments. If your layaway is cancelled, we will refund all sales taxes collected.
How are import fees charged for a layaway order shipping to an address in Canada?
Import fees will be collected proportionally on all three installment payments. If your layaway is cancelled, we will refund all import fees collected.
I want to mail my payment. What information do I need and what address do I send it to?
Please see How It Works.
What is the return policy?
Orion's standard return policy will apply. Click here for details
Once my layaway begins, can I make a full payment for the balance of my order?
Absolutely. If you change your mind and want the product(s) faster, just call our Customer Service team to arrange to pay the balance.
Is there a minimum order amount for the Orion Layaway Program?
Yes. The minimum order amount is US $99.
Is there a minimum payment amount I must submit?
Yes. You must pay the installment amount due or your layaway is subject to cancellation.
Is there a maximum order amount?
Yes. The maximum order amount is US $5,000.
Am I limited to the number of layaway orders that I can have outstanding at one time?
Yes. You may only have one layaway order outstanding at a time.
What happens if my payment is declined by my bank or credit card company?
If your first payment is declined, then you will need to make other payment arrangements.
If your second or third payment is declined, we will attempt to reach you and make other payment arrangements. If we cannot reach you, then we will cancel your layaway order and refund your first payment (less any service fee).
We would be happy to substitute items of a lower price on your order at your request so that your payments to date will cover your order total.
Can I change the items on my layaway order?
Yes. Making such changes will not change your payment schedule. If you make changes which affect your total order amount, your balance due will be divided among the payments remaining on your order. An updated payment schedule will be emailed to you.
Do I have to buy online to take advantage of the Orion Layaway Program?
You can purchase direct from Orion online, by phone or by mail. Residents of Maryland, Ohio and Rhode Island are required to submit a written acknowledgment of their agreement with the terms and conditions of our layaway program. Click here to view or download a special order form for Maryland, Ohio and Rhode Island residents (Adobe Reader required).
What can I do if I want to get my item(s) earlier than when my layaway is scheduled to end?
At any time before your third installment is due, you may call us and pay the balance in full. We will then ship the item as soon as it is available.
When will my order ship?
If you make your third installment payment by credit or debit card, your order should typically ship the next business day.
If you make your third installment payment by money order or personal check, then your order will be delayed for 5 to 7 business days while the check clears the banking system.
Does Orion reserve the item(s) for my layaway for me?
If your item(s) are in stock at time of order placement, Orion will reserve product for your order. Orion strives to have all our items in stock. If a product is shipped directly from the manufacturer to the customer (noted on the product detail page), we will send the order to the manufacturer when your final installment payment is received. In the rare case that your item(s) are not available when your layaway term ends, we will contact you to arrange a full refund, substitute another item or wait until the item comes back in stock, at your request.