Orion StarSeek 5 Astronomy App
Explore the Night Sky and Control Your GoTo Telescope with Your Apple or Android Smartphone or Tablet!
- A powerful and feature-rich astro app that shows you "what's up" in the night sky at any time, from anywhere!
- Hold your smartphone or tablet up to the sky to identify planets, stars, constellations, and more!
- Beautiful, customizable star chart interface containing 2.5 million stars, > 31,000 deep-sky objects, and > 4,000 asteroids, comets, and satellites.
- Control a computerized telescope from your iPhone or iPad (requires optional StarSeek WiFi module).
- Get a week-at-a-glance summary of cool sky events you won't want to miss!
- Compatible with Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models utilizing iOS 7.0 or later and Android phones and tablets running Android 4.0 and up.
StarSeek 5 is available now for Apple iOS devices and Android devices! The iOS version is available by download on the App Store, and the Android version is available by download on Google Play.
Orion's StarSeek 5 is a powerful and easy-to-use astronomy app equally suited to beginning sky watchers on up to hard-core amateur astronomy enthusiasts and telescope users. A significant upgrade from StarSeek 4, the all-new StarSeek 5 adds a hugely expanded database and some terrific new features and functionality, while offering even more advanced wireless control of GoTo telescopes. StarSeek's streamlined interface puts the universe literally at your fingertips.
StarSeek is a "universal" app (in more ways than one!), meaning it works for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch — and now with Android smartphones and tablets too!
We Also Suggest
What's NEW in StarSeek 5?
If you've used an earlier version of StarSeek before, here are just some of the enhancements you will enjoy in version 5:
- Complete rewrite of the compass code, for smoother and more accurate sky tracking!
- Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
- Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
- Completely new sounds, and a new look to the sky and horizon. Better transitions between portrait and landscape mode.
- OpenGL boost! New 3D models of the ISS, HST, Phobos, Deimos, Ceres, Vesta, and other solar system objects and spacecraft. Improved higher-res Mars map.
- Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
- Updated object descriptions, with images in-line. Every object now has a description!
- Reworked Time Flow controls. Set the date and time directly from the main toolbar. Run time 1000x faster than reality.
- Google Drive sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your Android devices!
- An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
- An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
- A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
- Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and focal reducers to your equipment list!
StarSeek's gorgeous, interactive display is highly customizable.
StarSeek depicts eclipses, conjunctions, transits, and occultations hundreds of years in the future.
Leave Earth and explore Jupiter, it moons, and other solar system objects from orbit.
Go Deep with StarSeek 5!
StarSeek 5 includes 2.5 million stars, 31,000 deep sky objects, the Solar System's major planets and moons, and over 4,000 updatable asteroids, comets, and satellites. Simulate the sky from any place in the Solar System, up to 10,000 years in the past or future. Expand your astronomical knowledge with over 1,500 encyclopedic descriptions of the constellations, stars, and planets. Enjoy more than 800 images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astrophotographers.
StarSeek 5 lets anyone identify what's in the night sky simply by holding your smartphone or tablet up to the sky! The dynamically changing map will show you "what's up" — literally — as you pan around the sky. Then just tap on an object to get a treasure trove of information about it. Pretty cool! The map is highly customizable, so you can enjoy just the amount and kind of detail you want to see. Search for any object in the database, and follow the arrow on screen to locate it in the sky. Animate the stars and planets with Time controls as StarSeek 4 compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds. Preserve your eyesight with red-screen "night vision" mode as you're exploring the skies. Stay updated with SkyWeek — the mobile version of Sky & Telescope Magazine's weekly column, with interactive sky charts. SkyWeek is accessible from right within the app.
StarSeek's Object Info on the iPad gives you the facts and figures alongside detailed descriptions and a gallery of images.
With StarSeek 5, you can tap the Orbit button to fly into orbit around other objects in the Solar System, and beyond it. Follow eclipses, occultations, and transits! View the planets and their moons as only NASA space probes have.
On an iPad's big screen there's lots of room to check out the planets and their moons. Here the Cassini spaceprobe heads for orbit around Saturn.
StarSeek 5 allows wired or wireless control of Orion's many computerized GoTo telescopes — from the portable StarSeeker 4 line to the large-aperture SkyQuest series of GoTo Dobsonians — as well as Celestron, Meade, and other brands (click here for a list). It can point your GoTo or "Push-To" telescope anywhere in the sky, using your smart device's built-in WiFi along with our StarSeek WiFi Telescope Control Module (sold separately). Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations into them, and share them with friends. Once you try navigating the night sky with your iOS device and StarSeek, you'll never go back to controlling your telescope with its standard — and rather mundane by comparison — hand controller!
NOTE: The current StarSeek WiFi Telescope Control Module works only with Apple iPhone and iPad (iOS devices), but in spring 2016 will add compatibility for Android smartphones and tablets.
Control an Orion GoTo telescope (or other brands) from your iPhone or iPad!
Red, night-vision mode can be turned on to preserve dark-adapted night vision.
Enter your telescope and camera equipment into StarSeek and it can automatically compute the field of view and show it on the map.
Tap an object to call up detailed information as well as history, mythology, and science.
Controlling your GoTo telescope using StarSeek 5 from an iPad sure beats using the scope's native hand controller!
NOTE: There is no upgrade path from StarSeek 4 or earlier versions to StarSeek 5. This is an entirely new app.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Android, Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.