Orion Telescopes & Binoculars is continually growing, and we're always on the lookout for qualified applicants to join our team! As the leading direct-to-consumer brand of outdoor optics, Orion is an exciting place to work. Our headquarters are located in beautiful Santa Cruz County on the Central California coast, just 20 miles south of Silicon Valley and 75 miles south of San Francisco. Orion employees enjoy a comfortable, stimulating working environment. The atmosphere is cooperative, team-oriented, and casual yet professional. Orion offers a competitive compensation & benefits package.
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE ASSISTANT
Part-time (20 hours/week)
Assist in performance of general accounting functions, including monitoring AVS processes, fraud prevention, back-up for regular AR invoicing, collections, and installment billing.
- Obtain credit card authorizations and address verifications for order processing per company policy and procedure.
- Coordinate transfer of customer credit dollars to the CA State Controller's office
- Release International orders from AVS Credit Hold on Sunday mid-afternoons
- Maintain Fraud Table in Cybersource, a web-based tool. Follow defined procedures for fraud prevention; work with Customer Service to minimize fraudulent orders.
- Help with filing (weekly, as well as annual) routine for AR Invoices as well as Timecards.
- Ability to recognize suspect problem issues, research, and react in a timely manner to minimize potential credit card fraud.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to meet and maintain deadlines.
- Three to five years' experience in performing accounts receivable functions of increasing responsibility
- Must be computer literate and proficient in spreadsheet and word-processing software
- Computer, keyboard, mouse
- Ten-Key Calculator
EXECUTIVE, ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES SERVICES COORDINATOR
Under minimal supervision and acting on own initiative and direction, provide moderately complex
analytical, project-oriented, administrative, financial, and clerical support to relieve and assist
the President, Human Resource Manager and other executives/managers as needed. Work may
be of a critical or confidential nature requiring a strong working knowledge of departmental and
company practices, policies, programs and product lines.
- Independently research assigned problems, determining method of research, data and information requirements as well as analysis techniques; compile and analyze data; prepare reports
- Organizes and prioritizes information and tasks relating to Administrative/Company/Legal requirements
- Takes ownership of recording minutes of general meetings, committee meetings, and other events as needed
- Answers routine mail and inquiries, executes follow-up to ensure appropriate action is taken
- Tactfully handles inquiries and transfers calls and e-mail messages to appropriate party
- Coordinates Board of Directors meetings as requested
- Contacts company personnel at all levels to gather information and prepare reports; may act as coordinator of departmental projects, following up on pending details, coordinating team activities, and ensuring deadlines are met
- Manages Vacation calendar on shared drive, makes appointments and coordinates activities between departments and outside parties
- Coordinates a variety of services/tasks to support the general well-being of the company
- Maintains and/or creates Administrative records and filing systems
- Maintains and updates/creates procedures for Administrative Assistant Procedures & Information Manual
- Monitors the Sci-Fi Lending Library Checkout; continuously adds new selections to library while balancing costs
- Participates in company Function and Safety committees
- Helps coordinate employee functions
- Supports Director of Human Resources in various human resources functions as needed, and specifically in the following ways:
- Handles Company donations
- Mails and ships correspondence and items for Management staff
- Independently arranges and orchestrates all company business and travel plans for Orion staff as needed; researches best travels deals and makes decisions regarding best plan of action on travel plans.
- Coordinates Employee Discount program
- Coordinates Employee Check-Out Program and maintains intranet updates of product checked out by staff.
- Composes, prepares, edits, and proofreads letters, reports and other correspondence
- Independently compile and analyze data and prepare reports for financial reporting, as needed
- Responsible for all non-product related purchasing; continually researching cost comparisons to find the best deal; negotiating contracts, and ensuring appropriate supplies are kept up
- Develops, manages, and improves standard operating procedures that promote efficiency, cost-effectiveness, control of inventory and quality of products
- Manage company contract library/tracking system.
- Actively initiates and be involved in change for the purpose of continuous improvement
- Responsible for expenses in conjunction with budget for areas of responsibility
- Represent the best interests of the company
- Special projects as required
- Minimum 3-5 years prior administrative support, or equivalent combination of advanced business school training and job-related experience
- Advanced word processing skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak English
- Work with the highest degree of confidentiality
- Project a professional and friendly attitude
- Possess a tactful and discreet demeanor
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels inside and outside of the company
- Type a minimum of 60 wpm
- Experience in PC operations
- Internet Search Expertise
- Ability to work independently from written/verbal instructions
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must be able to take ownership of responsibilities
INTERNET MARKETING MANAGER
Part-time (25 hours/week)
This is a multi-faceted role on a small team with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate is a creative, self-directed marketer who enjoys juggling multiple projects/deadlines and has had extensive international experience.
- Directly manage Search Engine Optimization and Social Media/Community Development and Engagement.
- Provide support for International Marketing Programs to include: affiliate, email, CSE, and PPC marketing programs. Identify and vet new international marketing programs.
- Search Engine Optimization Program Management
- Coordinate with SEO firm to conduct monthly competitor monitoring. Arrange meeting with broader team to review findings and identify action items based on competitor information. Prepare status reports on SEO efforts and success rates.
- Develop & manage site roadmap to introduce SEO enhancing features and content. Coordinate feature development with IT and IM developers. Commission freelance writers to develop SEO enhancing content and manage editorial calendar.
- Work closely with other departments to integrate your program effectively into existing promotions, graphics, business processes, etc.
- Meet or exceed budget goals including revenue, margin, cost, and customer acquisition goals
- International Marketing Program Support
- Affiliate: grow and cultivate relationships with new and existing affiliates; monitor performance and recommend relevant adjustments to commission structure, promotions, etc.; update promotional and creative information/graphics; research new developments that would enhance or impact our program
- CSE: monitor product feeds and placement; monitor bids; research new trends, growth opportunities; research and outreach to new SCEs
- Email: internationalize email marketing program for international audiences; create site promotional calendar based off of domestic site plan
- PPC: optimize PPC program for international audience working in partnership with third party agency; update promotional and creative information/graphics; research new developments that would enhance or impact our program
- New Opportunities: research trends, growth opportunities, and marketing programs in our international markets; recommend, plan, and implement new marketing programs
- Social Media / Community Development & Management
- Develop and manage editorial calendar for social media presence and SEO enhancing content coinciding with overall promotion calendar. Collaborate with Marketing/Creative teams to best utilize social media for our campaigns.
- Manage social media properties (Facebook, YouTube, Google+, etc.). Oversee and coordinate additional employees responsible for monitoring and posting.
- Commission new content and curate content that is relevant to target audience
- Develop procedures for monitoring, measuring and evaluating the success of social media initiatives and promotions. Prepare status reports on social media efforts and success rates.
- Knowledge of basic internet skills (email, web surfing, search engine use, etc.).
- Knowledge of technical aspects of web design and organization helpful (but not required).
- Knowledge of search engine optimization principles preferred.
- Experience managing marketing projects and publications from beginning to end, developing marketing messages and writing and editing compelling content.
- Experience using multiple social media platforms and blogging is ideal. A strong desire to learn how to utilize social media for brand engagement and marketing required.
- International marketing experience
- Some astronomy background and understanding of what would be relevant to hobbyists is strongly preferred.
- Strong Excel and Word skills.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision, able to "multi-task" effectively.
- Communicate clearly, pleasantly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent people management, project management and collaboration skills.
- Ability to prioritize work tasks.
- Effectively learn and apply training material.
- Ability to define and continuously refine / streamline production processes, including creating and clearly documenting process steps.
- Minimum 2 + years web administration experience (or equivalent) helpful but not required.
- Minimum 1+ years in support of a high volume business to consumer e-commerce business.
- Working knowledge of Orion Telescopes & Binoculars products.
TECHNICAL SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE 1
To assist customers and CSRs with technical information and support on Orion products and other products that Orion sells. To provide technical training for all Customer Service Department staff members.
- Assist customers, within established guidelines to resolve issues and answer questions related to purchased items. This includes, but is not limited to, providing support in resolving warranty and non-warranty product issues, sending replacement parts, product assembly and usage, software installation and support of camera or other component drivers and software. Offer advanced pre-sales support for customers considering a purchase or comparing Orion with other brands and product lines. Requires a cursory knowledge of competing brands
- Develop and conduct technical meetings and training sessions to enhance the Department's technical knowledge. This includes nighttime training sessions demonstrating the use and features of various products in real-world observing conditions. Also develop and conduct training sessions for weekly Department meetings
- Identify and properly communicate product issues such as, but not limited to, customer concerns related to instruction manuals, catalog and web copy discrepancies or other product issues to other departments
- Provide continuous department product training for all CSRs
- Enter and maintain journals related to customer concerns and corrective action. Keep
customer journals current and up to date, resolving journal entries within designated time frame
- Stay current with the latest developments in the astronomy field and related products
- Answer phones, support emails and respond to chats within designated time frames
- Perform within Department standards to meet TSR I goals
- Submit tech notes for the Orion web-site for common Customer technical issues
- PC literacy - Should have a working knowledge of current Windows operating systems and be familiar with hardware settings and driver installation/troubleshooting. Need to be able to operate and describe Orion's software and be able to understand and explain software and hardware install and uninstall processes
- In-depth product knowledge - Must be able to understand and describe the individual component parts of Orion product. Includes, but not limited to describing out of the box assembly and troubleshooting
- Hands-on observational astronomy experience
- Communicate verbally in a clear, pleasant tone and manner
- Ability to read and write English
- Complete all departmental forms accurately and neatly
- Accurately enter data into the computer system
- Learn and apply training materials in an effective manner
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, managers, and customers
- Clearly document and resolve customer contacts in the journal system
- Communicate clearly, efficiently and professionally via e-mails, journals, and order memos
- Accurately identify replacement parts to resolve warranty related issues
- Multi-line Phone System
- Telephone Headset
- Windows based PC (MAC experience a plus)
- Computer Printers
- Fax Machine
WHOLESALE SALES REPRESENTATIVE
Job Objective: (Purpose for position)
The Wholesale Sales Representative will be responsible for increasing sales to domestic and international wholesale resellers through work with assigned existing accounts and through prospecting for new wholesale business. Although the initial emphasis will be developing business among specialty retailers, other reseller classifications may be assigned at the discretion of department management. Provide support and customer service for accounts.
- Use professional sales and account management skills to achieve sales and profitability performance targets for existing and prospective wholesale reseller accounts
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with existing and new wholesale accounts to gain trust, build loyalty and increase commitment to the company's products and services
- Actively pursue outbound sales activities via phone and email with assigned accounts so as to meet and exceed individual account sales and product penetration targets
- Proactively prospect for new wholesale business opportunities. Identify, qualify and acquire new wholesale accounts that contribute to company goals and objectives
- Work with support staff to fill orders, provide after sale support, and resolve dealer service issues (e.g., shipping, repair parts, stock balancing, etc.) in a timely manner
- Create and manage distribution of wholesale promotional programs, campaigns and mailings.
- Monitor and assist in dealer invoicing, credit line utilization, and collection
- Report to management as directed and perform other administrative tasks that may be assigned from time to time
- Report progress, opportunities, and potential problems to department management
- Participate in department meetings, and meetings with department manager.
- Apply time management skills to attain high level of success
- Report market information acquired through contact with existing and potential wholesale customers
- Perform other support and administrative tasks that may be assigned by department management, or required to accomplish goals of department and company
- B2B or related sales experience with demonstrated success
- Understanding of retail business concepts and operations
- Proven time management skills
- Result-driven work ethic
Job Objective: (Purpose for position)
To assist in shipping, handling, and receiving operations. Will work under close supervision and guidance from Receiving Supervisor and Shipping Supervisor to complete the required job functions and tasks.
- Load and unload merchandise to and from trucks, shelving, floor, pallets, etc.
- Pull merchandise for ship batches
- Combine items to make complete units for shipping
- Input shipping and item information into computer using keyboard
- General Maintenance
- Maintain security of the warehouse at all times
- May be assigned other tasks as needed to accomplish the goals of the department and company
- Prior experience with shipping/receiving preferred
- Must be able to lift 70 lbs.
- Ability to proficiently use a computer, keyboard, and mouse
- Ability to read weight scales
* Part-Time staff receive Vacation/PTO/Holiday pay and 401K plan